Skip to main content

Daniel Boone at Camp Lulbegrud

     Daniel Boone spent his first years exploring Kentucky hunting.  He made several trips after the successful trip of 1769.  He often brought a few hunting partners and would spend months hunting and collecting hides to take back to his Yadkin home.  From all accounts, Boone was credited to have as much knowledge of the land of Kentucky as any person alive.  While this was not likely true, he did spent much time learning the territory and made a name for himself.  His old friend John Finley (also, commonly spelled Findley) had long disappeared from the scene and history does not report much more about this great pioneer.  Boone on the other hand had become the authority.  Eventually, Boone would lead settlers, to a new Fort on the Kentucky River.
     But before the establishment of Ft. Boonesborough,  Boone and his fellow hunters established hunting camps around the region, generally seeking out game.  The most famous of these was one  Boone and his party of long hunters actually named Lulbegrud.  It has been said that the very first printed book brought into Kentucky was brought by one of these hunters.  The book was Gulliver's Travels, written by Johnathan Swift.  During the evenings around the campfire the book was read aloud as entertainment. One  historical account says that Boone and companions were attacked by a band of Indians.  The hunters with their superior weapons, quickly dispatched their attackers. As a joking remark one of the pioneers referenced the natives as "Lulbegruds."  Apparently, the hunters named their camp and the creek Lulbegrud creek.
     Now there are two obvious things about the Swift silver mine legend that seem pretty strange to me. First, according to historical records Boone saw the beautiful level Kentucky on June 7, 1769.  John Swift records in his journal (included in most of the older versions of the journal)  he made his last trip to the mine workings in May of 1769!  This was one month apart in time! We do not know how close they where to each other, but both claimed to be west of the Allegheny' mountains, we presume. Secondly,  this creek campsite takes its name from a book read by Boone and hunters written by the Irish writer Johnathon Swift!  Sure is amazing this name just happens to turn up in the wilderness a man name John Swift mined silver.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flint Types of Eastern Kentucky

For those folks interested in archaeology and/or geology you no doubt have considered the flint (called chert by geologists) that all those arrowheads you've seen or in your collection are made from.  The colors, textures and behavior of the amazing substance various greatly and for many years, in fact up until the early 70's only the major identified primitive quarries type of flint were recognized in archaeological research. Little effort or attention was paid toward the raw material of those beautiful and finely crafted tools. Geologist performed little better simply noting in their field work that some beds of lime stones contained chert though sometimes the chert was described in detail.
    That all changed in the early 70's as the result of pioneering work on flint classification for sources found in the eastern part of Kentucky. This undertaking was done by Larry Meadows, Garland Dever and Ed Henson. Yes, yours truly was fortunate enough to know these two very …

Broke Leg Falls

For sure one old landmark in eastern Menifee County Kentucky is Broke Leg Falls. The Falls has been a tourist stop along US Hwy 460 since the 1940's and before. It was a place for picnics and adventures into the rough rocky terrain the likes of the Red River Gorge. It's location on once a major highway along with the pristine beauty of the box canyon that the stream formed no doubt contributed to the popularity of the Falls.
    The Falls is about 80 feet in height but much of the year has a small water flow. But over eons of time the Falls and stream have carved out a magnificent canyon retreating nearly to the crest of the ridge.
    Located in Menifee County Kentucky, Broke Leg Falls has been a popular tourist spot for travelers of the US Highway which is located only a few yards from the falls. A popular landmark since the 1940's, the Falls was privately owned. Visitors could pay a dime and get to hike the short distance down into the box canyon to view the Falls…

The High Rock Petroglyph

What do you think the strange symbols carved on this sandstone boulder represent? The High Rock Carving is certainly one of the most mysterious antiquity found in the Red River Gorge country.  We did a previous post  about this strange rock in August, 2012. Discovered underneath a small rock shelter near the High Rock fire tower, the carvings were discovered on one loose boulder in the shelter. In the late 70's the boulder was removed from the rock shelter by the Red River Museum and Historical Society placed at the museum in Clay City, Kentucky. It was felt that vandals and artifact collectors would soon end up destroying the unusual carved stone. In fact some of the surface appears to have been chipped away, perhaps portions already removed by vandals.    The carvings have many varied, curved shapes including concentric circles and shapes that may represent animals. Additionally, there are numerous holes and other features. Some of the rock has been lost likely by the weathering …