Friday, March 18, 2011

Amazing Flint

     Those of you that know me and some that follow these pages, know I am a nut about geology and especially unusual things geological related here in Kentucky.  To some people, studying rocks and the landscape is boring. To me, I say it is the ultimate hobby.  You don't need anything except to observe and curiosity and it is with you everywhere you go!  I think that is why I love the Swift Legend so much, even though most geologist do not give the idea much credit.
Me in front of unusual flint deposit
     Now, honestly, I started this blog to promote the book I hope to get out later this year.  I should have had it out by now, but unforeseen circumstances, not to mention my very picky proof readers, have dictated otherwise. But it will be a good book when it does come to fruition.  In the meantime, this has become sort of a Kentucky geology travel guide, along with hints, clues and ideas about the Swift Legend.
     With that in mind, I would like to share with you one of most unusual geological oddities I've seen in our beautiful Kentucky.  Some of you might know that I am a flint-knapper  hobbyist.   That is one who  chips stone into tools, primarily arrowheads, spears and such.   A specific kind of stone is needed for this process.  To most it is called flint.  Geologist will use the word chert to describe the same material.  It is found widespread across Kentucky generally associated with limestone rocks.  Now the fact is some limestones have the flint embedded  in the form of rounded nodules; while other times flint is found in layers embedded in the limestone.  And, flint is not found in every limestone everywhere.  Even today geologist are not quite sure how the stuff formed.  But it can be found in one of the two ways as mentioned, either in rounded nodules embedded in the limestone or in flat layers embedded in limestone.
   There is one location in Rowan County that the flint is in both flat layers and vertical columns embedded right there in the limestone along the roadside.  No where else have I ever seen or heard of this other than this one, strange spot.  Just another strange thing to see.  If anyone is interested in seeing, contact me and I can send you directions.
  


  
This is a ceremonial flint knife with polished dear antler made for a Cherokee elder

3 comments:

  1. Hey, me and my geologist friend are looking for unique finds; this looks amazing! Could you send me directions to this spot? It looks so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This outcrop is located right on the side of Ky route 1274 near Bangor, Ky. This is on the Bangor GQ map and is in the Cave Run area. Attached is a Google map location of the road. It is not far from the bridge that 1274 crosses the lake. It will be located near the top of the hill along that road. Sorry I don't have a more precise location. Good luck you will enjoy this site and it is quite amazing. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the formation after you see it. Thanks for asking!

    http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Bangor,+Rowan,+KY&hl=en&ll=37.991834,-83.338165&spn=0.451853,0.915298&sll=38.040622,-83.443179&sspn=0.028222,0.057206&oq=bangor&mra=ls&t=m&z=11

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should add it is the right side of the route 1274 travelling west!

      Delete

Swift Interview

    Just a quick update as promised. The Swift interview will air May 21 at 8:00 PM on KET. The last entry on this site covered the intervie...